PCB Party

The demo amp is taking shape… the chassis is back from laser engraving and milling, the back panel is assembled, and the PCBs have been made.

This time we tried a different approach to the lettering on the aluminium. Instead of using paint, we used adhesive vinyl sheet which was applied over the front panel, then the outline of the letters was cut by the laser engraver, and the vinyl carefully peeled off. Then the enclosed letters (eg. “e”, “R”, “O”, “P” etc – there’s lots of them!!) needed to have the inside fill carefully removed with tweezers, a steady hand, and a magnifying glass.

After the front panel was doie I sprayed two coats of clear protective lacquer over it, to prevent the letters from falling off later on.

Some photos for now.

The PCBs were made using photo resist method, with a UV lightbox I made up for the task (with hundreds of UV LEDs on stripboard, yes it took a long time!) but it was far more accurate and consistent than the previous PCB project. Also I got a cheap drill press for doing the PCBs instead of using the hand drill in a stand.

More photos as the build progresses.